Parrsboro Harbour

Across the road from Berry's Coal Shed, in the creek, is the two masted schooner ORanhayteka owned and sailed by Capt. Jimmy George. He has brought in a cargo of fruit and vegetables from Annapolis Valley, which he will sell to many Parrsboro people who will come to visit.

Down the harbour a bit further we come to the Lincoln Pulp Wharf. Alongside the wharf is the steamer Lilgunvor which has loaded pulpwood for Bangor Maine. She will leave on the tide and be replaced by the steamer Don which is anchored off the light.

In the slip at the lower end of the wharf is the tug Mary H. Cann, with her Capt. Lenwood Mills. She will assist the pulp ships when the tide is high.

A short distance further on is a wharf I believe is called the Fullerton Wharf. Alongside is the T. K. Bentley. A three-masted vessel which has her fore top mast broken off. She was first built for Capt. T. K. Bentley at West Advocate.

Just ashore is a construction crew busily erecting four oil tanks for the Irving Oil Company which will soon be filled for the first time by the tanker Elkhound.

Down the track, across the (train) Red Bridge beyond the marsh is a small scow which is now used for a mooring place for small boats.

Just outside the little scow lays the two-masted Sarah Eaton. She fills with the tide and her sailing days are over. Next to her is the Freddy Eaton. Another two-masted schooner that will soon be towed to Moose River where she will be made into a wharf.

Next is the Black's Wharf which has a spur rail line. The wharf is covered with piles of lumber for shipping. On the north side of the wharf lays the three masted Peaceland. Capt. Hilton Ogilvie is master of this vessel. She is loading lumber for an American port.

Across the outer end of the wharf are the two masted schooners Dorothy, owned by Capt. John McIssac, and the J.A.H., Capt Bill Hill. They have just arrived from Joggins with loads of coal. They are waiting a berth to discharge their cargo.

At the south side of the wharf is the large three masted schooner Marine. Her Captain is Murray Willigar. The remains of her hull can be seen today from the pier in the center of the harbour. Next to the Marine is the three masted schooner Francis Parsons, Capt. Karl Willigar. Next to the Parsons is the motor scow owned by Capt. Nathan Tupper.

Another Parson's vessel, the three masted Ena Parson sailed sometime ago with Capt. Dan Desmond aboard. She was loaded in a port in St. Mary's Bay and later was lost near Briar Island. All her people were lost.

Next to these ships is another wharf. The motor tug Roslie Marge is tied up waiting for an expected lumber ship. The Roslie will be employed towing lumber loaded scows to the ship which will anchor and load at West Bay. She is owned by Capt. Hartney Wasson.

Next is a scow loading lumber from a flat car on the railway.

A short distance further on is Hospital Beach where a set of keel blocks are in place. There, blocks are used to repair scows which are used to carry lumber. On a summer afternoon one could hear Joe Parsons or Alvin Newcombe mastering the caulking iron and mallet as they caulked and tarred the seams of the scows.

A little further on is the remains of the three masted schooner Victory Chimes. She was laying high on a small marsh in winter quarters when she fell off and drove her masts into the river bed. She was a total loss to her owner Capt. Burton Merriam.

Standing on the tracks one could see the three masts of the schooner Whiteway, owned by Capt. Walter Wasson. She has come up the bay on the flood tide and is anchored off Light House Bar waiting the tide to come into port.

Now we come to the Springhill Wharf where the motor ship Daniel Munroe is tied up. She has been here for some time and will be towed to Hantsport where she will become a barge. Later, being towed out the Bay of Fundy, she will sink off Digby Neck.

Next is the Coal Wharf. First we find the Vilda A. owned by Capt. Jim Ogilvie. She is loaded with coal for Black's Harbour and Connor's fish plant. She will sail on the coming tide.

The tugs Almac, Capt. Hartney Wasson, tug Vanessa, Capt. Nathan Tupper, tug Louise M, Capt. Billy McKinley. They are all waiting for the lumber ship to arrive. They will tow lumber scows from ports in the Minas Basin, Minas Channel and around Cape D'Or from Apple River, Eatonville, Sand River and Advocate.

Yesterday, two tugs from Hantsport were in to get coal bunker and water. They were the Ottis Wack and the Mumford.

Some time ago the three masted schooner Main a Dieu, loaded coal and sailed to Spencer's Island and anchored to wait better weather. In the evening Capt. Calvin Merriam with his wife Blanch went ashore to visit friends. While ashore the vessel caught fire and sank. For a long time after her mast could be seen at low tide.

Around the end of the coal wharf in the Whitehall Creek lays the two masted Margary Austin. She is commanded by Capt. Ralph Ogilvie and loaded with laths. Last night a spark from her cabin stove ignited her main sail and the fire department had to be called to extinguish the fire.

Just ahead of the Austin is the motor tug Victor N owned by Capt. Henry Newcombe. She is also waiting the ship. She replaced the tug Georgie K which burnt on the beach in Whitehall creek.

Further in the creek a bee hive of activity is going on. There are two sets of keel blocks in position. Two scows are on the blocks for calking, tar and other repairs. Capt. Wilfred Canning and brother Burgess are working on the scow which they call the "Tea Box". Les Brown is giving them a hand with the caulking.

Capt. Herbert Manning is coming down the beach from the oakum shed with a horseing iron and mall. Herb and son Walter are going to horse the seams of their scow.

The tug Georgie D, Capt. Wilfred Manning, and the tug Clayton M, Captain Herbert Manning, are tied up at the float in mid channel.

Also in the creek is the remains of the packet built and owned by Capt. R Burpee Tupper. She sailed with freight from Saint John to Parrsboro. She was also in the lumber trade.

In the upper reaches of the creek can be found another old wreck. She was the two masted schooner Two Sisters, owned by the Newcombe brothers. She has long been retired.

Across the creek from the coal wharf is Pinky Creek and Pinky Point. Far in this creek lies the former three masted schooner Hartney W, owned by Capt. Walter Wasson and later by Capt. James George. She carried lumber across the Atlantic Ocean in record breaking time.

Also in the creek Capt. John George has his Sea Boy laid up.

Further on down the beach lies the three masted schooner M.J. Taylor. With a crew of men and assisted by the tug Vanessa her masts have been removed.

Around the Point is a reef of rock. During an August gale the three masted schooner Minas Prince broke her moorings and lodged on the reef. The tugs Roslie Marge, Vanessa and Clayton M tried in vain to free her. That night's tide being a little higher made it possible for the tug Vanessa to free her. Much to the surprise of Capt. Wally Smith, the next morning found the vessel tied up at the Government Pier.

In this area is a very fine beach. Here lies the Mattee G Ellis owned by Capt. Norris Ogilvie. She is an American built ship brought here by Capt. Ogilvie and later sold to the Tuppers to be used as a lumber barge.

The three masted Minas King, Capt. George Merriam, has been sold to Dominion Coal Company Limited. She has been taken to Port Greville where her masts are being removed. From there she will be towed to Sydney where she will be fitted with a steam crane. She will be used to bunker ocean ships sailing in convoy.

From Pinky Creek there isn't much. Norris Ogilvie has a cottage on the beach. Scows are moved on the mud flats loaded with lumber for the ships.

Russell Spencer is driving his car across the beach rattling the planks as he goes. He is keeper of the light.

We now go back to the Aboiteau bridge and take a look at the other side of the harbour.

Walking along the Riverside shore from the bridge, we come to the Annie B Anderson, being built. Also the Governor Parr and the White Bell were built here. Later the yard is to be used by Capt. J.A. Urquhart to build barges for war time use. He will then move to the site of the coal wharf to continue his operation. This area was used for a long time as a lumber yard to store lumber.

A scow is loading lumber at the river bank through a shoot and trestle used for this purpose. The shoot is equipped with rollers to assist the lumber to move.

Further on is the Jeffers' Mill. Sawing lumber and making stove wood from the slabs Aubrey Yorke drives the truck which delivers the wood to the many homes which use it for heat.

Just beyond the huge wood pile another scow is loading lumber at a small wharf.

Opposite Eddy Street on the beach is a large three masted schooner. She is the Ester Adelaide. She has been there for quite some time and will soon be refloated and her name changed to Citnalta (Atlantic spelled backwards). She will be owned by the Parrsboro Shipping Company. The operators Harry Gillespie and Martin Gavin. She will carry plaster rock from Minas Basin ports to New Haven U.S.A. Bringing hard coal back from New York to Saint John for Starr's Coal Company. Her diesel engines have been removed, one powers the Clayton M and the other has been scrapped.

Further lies the John Bracewell, a three masted schooner. Her days are near an end but she will be loaded with pulpwood to Hantsport. Also here is the three masted Blomidon. Her time is also coming to a close. The S.T. Salter is at the government pier but under disrepair she will fill with water each tide. Pumps will be placed aboard and she will be floated and towed to Light House bar and later drift to sea. I believe her remains are still in the mud outside the bar.

Along this shore line are many scows loaded with lumber moored to anchors on the mud flats, they too are waiting for the expected ship.

Across the harbour is the coal wharf again. Joe Cutten the Harbour Master and wharf Superintendent is in his office. He is recording the shipping arrivals and departures. Mounted near his office is a large bell. He will ring the bell three times as a salute to the passing ships and crew entering or leaving port.

You will note at the Government Pier a bar or beach points towards the Whitehall Creek. On this beach the three masted schooner S.T. Salter, Capt. Stewart Salter. Also, the Irene Myrtle, Capt. Tom Antle, are having their bottoms caulked and copper painted for the shipping season. The Irene Myrtle will later be sold to the United States to be used on Coast Guard patrol.

Down in the Bite or mud flats can be seen the Ralph and Arthur. The power scow is loaded with lumber getting ready to sail for Boston. Her master is Capt. Walter Wasson.

Last week the motor coaster Shagomoe, owned by Capt. Walter Wasson sailed for Boston with a load of lumber. Later she caught fire on Polly's Flats in Apple River. She was returned to Parrsboro, bought by Capt. Al Coffill, she was rebuilt and renamed the Shirley Aleta. Then used in the coal trade between Parrsboro and Black's Harbour.

Also sailing a short time ago was the motor coaster Barnado with Capt. Allen B. Taylor aboard. She too had a cargo of lumber for Boston.

Sunday saw the arrival of the steam tug Wasson with Capt. Nathan Tupper at the wheel. She came from Halifax and will be used to tow lumber scows. She is owned by the Gunters. Later she will have her name changed to Pearl M. She will work this area for a while then Capt. Tupper will take her back to Halifax to be employed with National Harbours Board.

At the Pier is the motor tug Nan & Edna. A converted Rum Runner she is owned by Capt. Tupper and sailed by Capt. Bert Kyles. She too is used in the lumber trade.

At the Pier the Reo Casma, Capt. Joe Merriam, has arrived with general freight from Saint John. She will unload part cargo in Parrsboro and continue around Minas Basin delivering to the many ports. She replaces the Glenholme and Brunswick. Her sister the Reo Tambo wintered here and loaded lumber for the States. I believe George Merriam was her master.

Inside the pier the motor scow Manning is loading lumber for the ship coming. Owned by Capt. Hebert Manning and her master, Capt. George Bullwell. This scow remained in service for many years working out of the port of St. John.

At the end of the Pier lies the Kipawo, Capt. Ed Trefry. The ferry which links us to the Annapolis Valley. The ferry runs daily on the tide. Her name comes from the first two letters of the ports of call, Kingsport, Parrsboro, and Wolfville. A ramp is built in the Pier to enable cars to be lowered to the Kip's deck level where they are hoisted on board. She must load early as she must leave shortly after she floats to enable her to make her trip on one tide.